1887-1965, Swiss architect , Urban planner , Painter, Writer, Designer, Theorist, Active mostly in France.
“For the first time perhaps, the pressing problems of architecture, were solved in a modern spirit. Economy, sociology, aesthetics: a new solution using new methods.”
“Through the channel of my painting I arrived at my architecture.”Le Corbusier
Le Corbusier’s 5 Points of a New Architecture
- Free Plan
- Free Façade
- Ribbon Windows
- Roof Garden
- The pilotis elevating the mass off the ground,
- The free plan, achieved through the separation of the load-bearing columns from the walls subdividing the space,
- The free facade, the corollary of the free plan in the vertical plane,
- The long horizontal sliding window
- the roof garden, restoring, supposedly, the area of ground covered by the house.
Maison La Roche-Jeanneret, Auteuil, Paris, France , 1923
- This double house designed in 1923 for Raoul La Roche and Albert Jeanneret, marks a milestone in the architectural reflection of Le Corbusier,
- The “five points” for composing the facade and ribbon windows are present, as well as the two-story spaces and balconies characteristic of the architect.